How to Make The Indian Comfort Food – Aloo Gobi?
Nothing says comfort food more than Aloo Gobi. It is the perfect home style dish which is packed with spices. The carbohydrates from potatoes and Vitamin K from cauliflower, makes it nutrient packed and perfect to regain lost strength after a tiresome day. Paired with Indian breads or rice, Aloo Gobi is one of the most popular dishes in Indian households and it is as easy to make as it is tasty. Some things that one needs to keep in mind while making this dish is that the vegetables should give a crunchy feel and shouldn’t be too soggy. Apart from this, the cauliflower florets should be cleaned thoroughly with cold water before use to avoid worms.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced into cubes
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Salt to taste
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- 500 grams cauliflower
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium flame.
- Add cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Add garlic and ginger paste and cook for about 1 minute till lightly browned.
- Add potatoes.
- Season the mixture with spices and cover.
- Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add cauliflower and cilantro.
- Cook on low flame for about 10 minutes until potatoes are tender while cauliflowers still retain a slight crunch.
- Serve with rice or chapati (Indian bread)
To make the dish healthier, you can use olive oil instead of vegetable oil. Additionally to avoid the hassle and making the dish even quicker, you can use ginger garlic paste and ready-made Indian spice mix in the recipe. If you are homesick but don’t want to go through the hassle of making aloo Gobi on your own or just want to experience Indian food, you can dine-in at the Yarra Indian Restaurant in South Yarra, Victoria.